Sunday, March 28, 2010

Utah, Egg dye, and more!

I know... I said I would blog every Sunday during lent... But hey! I've been so dedicated to this no technology thing that I haven't even logged on to do that (and a little bit of the busy/laziness factor don't help). But now look! I am blogging!! Essentially I want to take the time to fill you in quickly on what I have been up to.
Week one of the no technology bit was difficult. I had more time on my hands then I knew what to do with. I pulled out old instruments that I hadn't picked up in years, I did a lot of walking (0r more like bored pacing) around the house, I cleaned and did laundry, I packed stuff... I basically found any form of entertainment that I could.
The later weeks became more and more simple. In the beginning I would reach for the knob to turn on the radio in my car by habit but as weeks continued, I no longer felt the need for the radio. My mom and I even drove all the way to Colorado Springs without the radio, using only our own silliness to entertain ourselves. I have now found that I don't need technology to keep me going, life is passing me by quickly and all I can do to enjoy it is to live every moment. I'm not saying I will never go back to technology but to go back to as heavily as I was using it would be a mistake. I will say that I like having it back though, just for those few times that I've got nothing to do.
Anyway, this is the portion of this post that I have been looking forward to... My mission trip to Provo, Utah! I was an adult helper on the LUVLife (Let Us Vibrate Life, high school youth group of First Presbyterian Church Pueblo) mission trip to Provo/Orem. Overall there were ten students ranging from the 8th grade to seniors in high school. Four of them were females (Emily, Sarah, Rebecca, and Janie) and the other six were male(Ben, Drew, Bryce, Rudy, Daniel, and Brian). We had three adult helpers including myself, Bob Yarberry (Janie's Father) and Rene Morrissey (The youth pastor). Rene oversaw everyone at a broad level and made sure everything went smoothly on the trip, while I monitored the girls a bit more closely and Bob handled the boys. My group of the girls had a separate project from the boys group.
While the boys worked on landscaping a habitat for humanity group, we volunteered in a daycare for special needs and low income families known as Kids on the Move. It was amazing watching the girls work with the kids, and working with them myself was a rewarding but also an emotionally demanding experience. I absolutely adored the kids and felt myself becoming extremely attached to them. (This is why I could not work with that age level, my need to nurture is too strong).
One little boy in particular captured my heart. His name is Eric and he is the sweetest little boy I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Each day he brought a smile to my face and has even given me the desire to one day have a son of my own. Granted it may not be for a while but one day :D.
Each of the kids were absolutely adorable and unique. Some were more difficult emotionally then the others due to different special needs, but they were all lovable in their own ways. This experience was rewarding and wonderful.
The only bad thing is that little kids like to share, and not the fun stuff like toys, but rather a bad cold. I unfortunately brought the cold home to my mom so now she is ill too. Its definitely not a fun cold!
With Easter around the corner, mom and I are going to dye eggs for the first time in years! It was a spur of the moment decision but I can't wait! It will be fun to have an activity to do with mom and will bring back memories!
A quick update on church things, I was officially elected as a deacon and am ordained May 9. We had an amazing Good Friday event at the church yesterday that really allowed me time to reflect and relax. It was ran like an open house type of thing with several stations including a labyrinth, a cross in which you could nail a prayer, music, and much more. It has to be one of my favorite things the church has done.
Hope you all are well and have a wonderful easter!!

Let every man and woman count himself immortal. Let him catch the revelation of Jesus in his resurrection. Let him say not merely, "Christ is risen," but "I shall rise." ~Phillips Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment