Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Neat Second Chance Story

Minnesota, how I love you! General Assembly, how I love you! New friends, how I love you! But most of all GOD!!! I LOVE YOU! I just wanted to take the time today to do one of my favorite things... write, and I figured that I could kill two birds with one stone and update my loving friends and family and blog. I had a bit of a break today (unfortunately I really need sleep) and figured, why not? General Assembly has been an absolutely amazing experience, mind you, stressful, but amazing!!! My brain is fried, my body is tired, my spirit is stretched to limits I didn't know it could begin to reach, but I feel amazing! I will update much more about my experiences here later but today I really just want to write about one thing. That one thing is a story, so here it goes...
In the late 1800's and early 1900's Northeastern Minnesota's main industry was lumber. Many of the local lakes were used as a way to transport logs to the mills. Some of the logs became water logged and sunk to the bottom of the lake. After 100 years or more of sitting on the bottom of the lake, some of the logs floated back to the surface. These logs are known as "Deadheads" because only one end of the log is visible and they are a great hazard to water craft. A few of those logs have now been harvested by a wonderful pastor named Bill and his wife Sherry. They named them Second chance logs. Just as jesus died on the cross and gave us a chance, these logs are representative of that love. The wood is otherwise useless. Bill sends them to another man who makes them into beautiful crosses. I wear one on a leather lanyard around my neck and will probably wear it forever. If anyone is interested in one of his crosses, he gives them away for free in any number. He doesn't want money, he just wants the crosses to be distributed to the world so that more people are hearing the word. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you his email to get into contact with him or you can let me know what you want and I will email him for you.
I will update everyone on how the trip is going in another post sometime this week or when I get back. I love you all! Fireworks were great! Mall of America was great! But I promise more updates will be coming.

You cannot go outside of A and Z in the realm of literature; likewise Christ Jesus is First and Last of God's new creation, and all that is in between; you cannot get outside of that.

-T. Austin Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment